This post brings you a list of useful tools which every SharePoint practitioner should make use of to make his day to day life easier. I personally don’t know any of the developers who developed these tools so I’m not trying to do some marketing stuff for these tools. I just wanted to share the list with you guys so that you could get benefits out of it.
There are hundreds of paid/free third party tools out there to administer/manage SharePoint and I have not really tried a lot of them. The list which I’ve put together below is something which I’ve been using for quite some time now and just wanted to let you guys know that these tools have been vetted carefully during usage and they are not potentially harmful by any means, plus they are free of cost too and most of them are from code plex.
- ULS Viewer : A windows application for viewing SharePoint ULS log files more easily. Supports filtering and easy viewing of data.
- SharePoint Manager : The SharePoint Manager 2013 is a SharePoint object model explorer. It enables you to browse every site on the local farm and view every property. Please be mindful that you should have this tool running on a machine which has SharePoint installed on it.
- Fiddler : The Fiddler tool helps you debug web applications by capturing network traffic between the Internet and test computers. The tool enables you to inspect incoming and outgoing data to monitor and modify requests and responses before the browser receives them. Fiddler also includes a powerful event-based scripting subsystem, which you can extend by using any .NET Framework language.
- Network Monitor : Network Monitor tool can be used for capturing network traffic and protocol analysis.
- WinDirStat :
WinDirStat is a disk usage statistics viewer and cleanup tool for various versions of Microsoft Windows.
- SharePoint Log Viewer :
SharePoint Log Viewer is a Windows application for reading and filtering Microsoft SharePoint ULS Logs.Key Features:
• View multiple SharePoint log files at once
• Search by any field
• Filter the log by any field
• File drag & drop support
• Live monitoring for entire farm
• Export filtered log entries
• Bookmark log entries
• Get popup notification of SharePoint log events from system tray
• Receive email notifications on errors
• Redirect log entries to event log
• Supports SharePoint 2007, 2010 and 2013
- SharePoint Feature Administration and Clean Up Tool :Feature Administration is a tool for SharePoint administrators and developers to manage SP features. It finds and cleans faulty Feature Definitions and orphaned reminders.The Feature Admin Tool finds faulty Feature Definitions and cleanly uninstalls them.
It finds feature remainders in sites, Site Collections, WebApps and in the Farm, caused e.g. by forcefully uninstalled Features from a farm without deactivating them before. These faulty features, which are never visible, cause errors.
- SharePoint Command Builder :As the name implies, you can use this tool to build SharePoint PowerShell commands that can simplify your daily work.
- SharePoint 2013 Search Query Tool:After running the query, you can view all types of result sets returned; Primary Results, Refinement Results, Query Rules Results, Query Suggestions, in addition to the actual raw response received from the Search service.This can be used both with SharePoint 2013 on-premises and SharePoint Online. I also explained in detail the usage of this tool in a previous blog post. Click here to read that.
- SharePoint Host name site collection creator :The SharePoint Host named Site Collection (HNSC) Creator SharePoint Admins to create HNSC via a GUI instead of PowerShell. This can be used by two ways. One of them is a Windows Forms application that needs no installation, and the second one is a SharePoint 2013 farm solution that plugs in the Central Admin for a native SharePoint experience
- SharePoint Designer :Microsoft SharePoint Designer (SPD), formerly known as Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer, is a discontinued HTML editor freeware specialized in creating or modifying Microsoft SharePoint sites, workflows and web pages. It is a part of Microsoft SharePoint family of products.
Please note that Microsoft has announced that SharePoint 2016 does not have SP Designer 2016. That has been discontinued in the 2016 version.
Hope you enjoyed reading it.
Please don't forget to Share, Follow and Like to get updated with latest posts.
It gives me motivation to share more knowledge with you.
Project Management Professional (PMP) and Microsoft certified, motivated, energetic and accomplished Project Manager / Architect with 15+ years of work experience in Management, Architecture, Analytics, Development and Maintenance. I have been fortunate to be a part of over 25+ .Net / SharePoint projects delivery with various companies across different industry sectors. This has provided me a valuable insight and experience especially in successful implementation of SharePoint based solutions.
My experience in Web application implementation includes technology strategy and road-map definition, business and technical requirements identification, governance, platform architecture, solution design, configuration, development, quality assurance, training, post-production support, team lead and overall project delivery along with project management.
Satyendra Mishra holds a B.Tech. in Computer Science & Engineering and PG Diploma in Advance Computing from Center for Development and Advance Computing, Pune, India. He is also a certified Project Management Professional (PMP).
I love to share Project Management Tips and Tricks by writing Blogs in the Project Management India Community. I have written around 300+ articles in the Project Management, .Net, SharePoint and related client side technologies.